Monday, July 29, 2013

Mystery Mail

An extraordinary thing happened on Saturday.  I have no explanation.

A postcard arrived in my mailbox.  The photo was taken by Julia Cameron - an incredibly talented artist/photographer from the mid-19th century.  She was a woman ahead of her time by about a century and a half.

The photo is of her niece, Julia #2 -- Julia Jackson, aka Mrs. Herbert Duckworth, the mother of Virgina Woolf.  This Julia was married early, widowed, remarried, widowed again... and was often described as a woman of strength and grace.  Virginia Woolf used her as model for characters in several of her novels (Notably: To the Lighthouse and Mrs Dalloway) and described her as "searching, sensitive and ever-suspended in thought."  This portrait seems to bear that out.

The postcard is addressed to a 3rd Julia -- at my address, but with no last name to help identify the addressee.  The postman penciled a question mark on it and put it in my mailbox.  I suppose he thought if any Julia had ever lived here, I would know her or know of her.  No Julia has ever lived at this address.  I checked.

The handwritten message on the back of the postcard says:

"Julia,
     Do you ever think about your 5 year plan/life/future?  I think about it, and now all the time I'm just worried.  Worried and regretful, wringing my hands every day about yesterday.  Look at this woman.  Do you think she is worried?  She seems to ache a bit for something.  But she is very beautiful and dignified.  I try to take a lesson from her and even when I ache carry a dignity and grace.  I used to save my nicest cloths (sic) for some special day.  Now I wear them. I must make the special day today."

Such an unusual message to put on a post-card; so full of existential angst!  There is no sender's signature.  It is postmarked from New Orleans.

It's addressed to someone named Julia, so it's not meant for me.  Is it?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and dignified. (No better words to describe you, Candi.) Everything happens for a reason.

    ReplyDelete